Sunday, November 05, 2006

Product plug: Better than Bouillon


I don't know if this is a new product or an old product that I only just discovered, but let me say I love it already (and not just because their name is so close to ours!) Better Than Bouillon is a lovely, concentrated goop that packs more flavor (and significantly less sodium) than traditional bouillon cubes, but doesn't take up as much room as cans/boxes of the liquid stuff. Basically, you take about a teaspoon of the BTB goop - the texture makes it difficult to measure precisely - and mix with a cup of boiling water/add with a cup of boiling water to make a cup of stock. So, the 8 ounce can that you can get at Trader Joe's for $2.99!, makes 48 cups, or about 12 boxes worth, of broth.

Around this time of year, I do a lot of cooking that involves broth (soups, casseroles, tagines, gravy) so it's fabulous to have this much of it on hand, without having to keep 12 boxes in our already-rather-cramped cabinets. And it's cheaper, too. The other cool thing? While it comes in all the usual flavors (chicken, beef and vegetable), they also have lobster, clam, chili, mushroom AND there are organic and vegan versions of each. Might have to get those through the website, though.

1 comment:

Mary said...

is this only sold at Trader Joe's? There aren't any locations near me. Although, I guess I could stop by the one in Baltimore when I'm home for Thanksgiving.
This seems like an awesome product.