Friday, June 16, 2006

Turkey Talk

Continuing the topic of improving the flavor of poultry, here's my first post, about turkey burgers.

I make turkey burgers at least once a week, and the risk of running into a rut runs a bit high. As an especially lean meat, ground turkey lacks a lot of the inherent flavor of its beefy counterpart, so the secret lies within your choice(s) of seasoning and meat mix-ins. I've experimented with an array of turkey burger recipes, and so I'm sharing a few of my favorites for summer.

* Note: I only use the 93% fat-free ground turkey. The 99% fat-free turkey is heinously dry and flavorless; no amount of additions will make it pleasing to your palate.

All have the same basic cooking instructions: mix everything in a bowl with 1 pound of ground turkey; form into 4 patties; grill (or indoor grill) until cooked through and juices run clear.

The Traditional
1/2 medium onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced (or more to taste)
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
salt & black pepper to taste

The Spicy
1/2 red onion, minced
2 chipotle peppers (canned with adobo sauce), chopped + 1 tsp of sauce (adjust to taste)
1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
3 or 4 TBS cornmeal to bind together
salt & pepper to taste
+ great with Monterey Jack Cheese

The Tropical
1 egg
1/2 cup instant oatmeal
1/2 cup celery, chopped
salt & pepper to taste
glaze: equal parts pineapple preserves + yellow mustard
+ When burgers are cooked through, top with glaze and cook a bit longer until glaze heats & sets. Serve with additional glaze on the side.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

The tropical one sounds awesome - I'm a total sucker for pineapple and glazes of any kind.

Caroline said...

We eat a lot of turkey burgers, too. I've fooled around with some spices, and I like a combination of dry ranch salad dressing mix, garlic powder, and diced onions/mushrooms (not exactly sure of the proportions). I am going to try some of these soon!